Pages

Monday, April 25, 2005

today's whiney post via email!

So today I had Circle of Friends tutoring. I actually prepared for it for once.
I had a little time to kill in between my paper conference and tutoring at
4:00, so I decided I should look up some worksheets or something for the girls
to do, since lately I feel like that 'class' (ie tutoring session) is a waste
of time for the girls since they never want to do anything and we usually just
give in. But today was going to be different. Today we were actually going to
do something, whether they liked it or not.
And we did.
I made up worksheets; 1 worksheet with about 8 sentences on nouns, 1 on verbs with 5 sentences, and 1 on adjectives with 5 sentences. These are all things we had been going over, and I thought the girls had them pretty down-pat, this was just to be a review where they underline the noun/verb/adjective. Well, Amy* was able to do it pretty quickly, with only a little help. Susan* however took some time, and sometimes I think she just randomly guessed until I said how about we look at this again... and helped her more. But it's not that she can't do it, I know she can, she did the other sentences perfectly well. It's just every once in awhile she'd get lazy and not want to do it. At one point, after finishing the worksheet, Susan shoved the papers over to me and said "you do it". I laughed and said no way I'm not doing your work... but it was kind of frustrating since we don't really require much by them any other time and then when we actually wanted them to do something they moan and groan about it the entire time.

And wow, were the insults flying today! The girls were in hyperactive mode,
insulting each other and talking loud and quickly and... just wow. They were
more hyper today than I've ever seen them, but I think a lot of that had to do
with today being the last class. According to Amy, the tutoring session next
week might be cancelled for a special field trip they might be going on, so
that makes today their last class with us since we don't tutor during Finals
week. I guess that explains the hyperness. It is a bit frustrating though.
They didnt' even want to go over to the library to read magazines or anything.
We had to practically beg and plead with them to go, calling it a field trip
and that it wasn't really "baby stuff" like they said. So we walked there, and
then rented laptops for them to surf the web on, however the internet wouldn't
work so then we had to deal with more moaning about that...

It's just one of those days I guess. Since the weather is all icky and
disgusting. Snow this morning, hail, and it looks very stormy outside now so I
bet we're in for a lot of rain soon. Oh joy. It's cold outside. Today our
attendence question in my American Cultures class was determined to be
optimistic... "what is the best thing about snow in the end of April?"... My
answer? It'll melt soon. I hate snow, as does almost everyone else in that
class.

I'm just in a gloomy kind of mood right now I guess. I need a nap.

*names have been changed on account of the off-chance that they'll find
this blog

No comments: