Pages

Friday, June 10, 2005

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. - Logan Pearsall Smith

I'd forgotten how much I love to read for fun. I recieved a letter from my (former) roomate, and in it she mentioned how I'm probably already on my 3rd book of the summer... and then I realized that no, I hadn't even picked up a book for fun even once this summer. Past years I've read 400+ books in a year, but this year (not including those read for school) I probably didn't even get anywhere past 50. I just... I don't know, forgot how I feel when I'm reading I guess. A few days ago I picked up one of those 3-stories-in-1 books to get myself started again, and I finished each story in a matter of a couple hours. And I loved every minute of it. I loved how I would start reading and reading, and what seemed like minutes later, I was finished the story. And it ends exactly the way I want it to. It has to. If its a new book, I read a chapter, then skip ahead to the last chapter and read that. And if it doesn't end with 'A' falling in love with 'B', I discontinue reading. Books are supposed to be a fantasy, a means of escape. Well, my fantasy has to have a happy ending.
That's why I read 'stupid trashy' romance novels. They're quick easy reads, mindless, funny, and they indulge my romantic side. They make me smile. There's been a lot of times where I'll be upset and just start reading, and someone will walk in the room to find me smiling over something corny the 'hero' (or whoever) just said. They make me happy, as books are supposed to.
I've been reading since before kindergarden, with a few breaks here and there when I forgot how much I enjoy making time for it. I'm happy to say, that I will be making time for it every day now, no matter how busy I am with school/job/life. It's so worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They must be pretty damn quick reads if you can get through 400+ in a year!!
You should pick up bigger books! :P