Pages

Monday, September 08, 2003

I want to go back in time, and relive my childhood. Is that so much to ask?

Today while sweeping our 'yard' (50?x3feet of pavement/blacktop/concrete) I was suddenly jolted back to my childhood.

I'd forgotten how tomato plants smell. That may seem weird, but did you ever smell one? I think they have a distinctive smell. New, fresh, and tangy almost.

Today I brushed against my mom's tomato plant that she has growing in a pot outside, and it startled me because all of a sudden I remember being approx. 4 years old and 'helping' my mom in the huge garden we used to have behind our old farmhouse (this was several houses ago). I hadn't thought about it in awhile. I tend to hate digging in the dirt because I hate looking/getting dirty, so I avoid gardening any more then my mom makes me.
But today when I swept against that plant it reminded me of how i used to love to get dirty, to play in the dirt, and really not care how I looked or what people thought of me. It's sad, I'm not like that anymore. What happened to that little girl that didn't care? The little girl who went up on stage at a dance recital and only half-attempted to do the planned dance but mostly made up her own? The little girl who didn't care that her favorite shoes were cowboy boots and made her look ridiculous. The girl that did things just because she liked to do them. Where'd she go? Is it just growing up that made me care about how I appear to others, or is there something that happend along the way that made me suddenly care? I want to be that little carefree girl again. The girl that was oblivious to parental arguements, money problems, and anything negative except that her brother ate the last popsicle.

I want to go back in time. And all this started because of a simple tomato plant that I smelled today while sweeping the yard.

No comments: