Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2003

What do you think of commercials? The kind on tv, not the super annoying radio ones. They used to annoy me. They still sometimes do. I used to figure out what was wrong with each individual commercial, be it hypocritical, lying, improper English, or just plain stupid. I can/do pretty much critique each and every commercial. But this week, while watching the X-Games on ESPN, and ESPN2, I saw some great commercials. The first one that comes to mind is the one with Tiffany Amber-Theissan (sp?) and her "nephew"- it's for McDonalds and it's super cute. The other one that I really enjoyed reminded me of something I would do... it was, again, for McDonalds... A dad is trying to coax his little boy into jumping off the dock into the pond, while the sister watches. The dad then says "If you jump it, we'll all go to McDonalds" You can see the boy thinking about it, but all of a sudden SPLASH! The sister shoves the brother into the pond, and starts running towards the car saying "I"ll meet you at the car! Hurry up!"

The last one that I really enjoy is also kind of annoying. The song gets stuck in my head, and plays over and over. No sooner do I get the song out of my head, then I see the commercial again. It's a vicious cycle. What commercial is it? It's for..(I think) Coor's Light Beer. It's that 'Wingman' commercial. You've probably seen it, it's been on for a while. It has a guy in like the background strumming a guitar and singing about how this guy that is sitting at a table is the 'wingman'. Basically, guy #1 (the wingman) is entertaining a lady so his best friend can dance with the lady's friend. The lyrics go something like..."A (something) investment banker.. who talks about herself and not much more.......so buy her a beer, pretend that's the reason you're here....Wingmaaaaan!" (hmm, I hope that wasn't copywrited..)

Anyway, I really like those commercials.


No comments: